Call members of Congress with the following message:
“As tax reform moves forward, will you please vocalize your support for the Historic Tax Credit, to protect this essential community redevelopment tool? Also, please considered co-sponsoring the Historic Tax Credit Improvement Act. This bill’s provisions are ideal ways to enhance the Historic Tax Credit as part of tax reform or future infrastructure legislation.”
Meet with Members of the House and Senate during the Congressional Recesses
Memorial Day Recess
May 27 – June 3
Independence Day Recess
July 1 – July 8
July 31 – September 4
– Ask for the contact information for schedulers in offices of both House and Senate members, once connected, make a request to schedule a meeting or HTC project tour during the upcoming recesses.
– Combine your meeting with a tour of a completed or potential HTC project.
– If a meeting with the Member is not possible, request a meeting with staff.
– Coordinate meetings with local preservationists, developers, architects, mayors, Main Street organizations and others in order to convey the broad impact of the Historic Tax Credit program.
– Please share the outcomes of your advocacy with HTC Campaign Staff Members (see below).
Attend Lobby Congress in DC on Behalf of the HTC on Wednesday, June 14, 2017
The Historic Tax Credit Coalition is welcoming all HTC advocates to come DC and join us on Capitol Hill on June 14th. This will be the day before many in the HTC industry are in town for the IPED Historic Tax Credit Conference, so we are hoping to have a strong showing of HTC industry advocates, preservationists and main street coordinators on Capitol Hill on June 14th. As always, NTCIC staff can set up your meetings and provide educational materials including maps and a list of all projects in your state and Congressional District.
To participate in the June 14th Lobby Day: Please email Michael Phillips at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are available. If you would like to register for the IPED Historic Tax Credit Conference after the lobby day on June 15th and 16th go to: http://www.ipedconference.com/conferences/Annual_Historic_Tax_Credit_Summit_2017_IPED.aspx
Sign Your Organization on to HTC support letter
The National Trust for Historic Preservation, Historic Tax Credit Coalition, Preservation Action, National Conference of State Historic Preservation Officers, and the National Main Street Center have developed a stakeholder organization sign-on letter. The letter calls on the House Ways and Means and Senate Finance Committee Chairmen to protect the HTC in tax reform.
Urge Members of Congress to co-sponsor the Historic Tax Credit Improvement Act H.R. 1158/ S.425
The HTCIA provides Members of Congress with a way to indicate their support for the credit and offers several reform ideas that could be incorporated into a larger tax reform bill. Adding cosponsors to the legislation is a critical step to protecting the historic tax credit during the tax reform process.
– Check to see if your members of Congress have co-sponsored the bill, House Co-sponsors, Senate Co-sponsors.
– Send your delegation an email encouraging co-sponsorship of the HTCIA.
– If you are an organization, request that your members reach out to your state’s Congressional delegation to urge co-sponsorship.